Clapton summer street party celebrates Windrush Generation
- Credit: Emma Wynne
Clapton residents flocked to Downs Park road to celebrate together at a Windrush Generation street party earlier this month.
The festivities, organised by Uprising Community Club and Hackney Council, included a bouncy castle, free haircuts, folk dancing and a puppet show performed by kids.
Partygoers tucked in to Caribbean barbecue dishes like Jerk chicken, fried fish, roasted corn and dumplings.
"It [brings] the community together. Everything is good - the food, the music, I like everything. I've come with my wife, and we look forward to coming every year," said Collin Waallac, 58.
Guests enjoyed performances from the Whittington Steel Band and the Uprising Community club group.
You may also want to watch:
"There's a warm atmosphere. We do dancing, games, and there's a great variety of food," said Hermine Anderson, 80.
Hackney speaker Cllr Kam Adams and former president of the Nurses Association of Jamaica, Paulette Lewis MBE also attended.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 5 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 6 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 7 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 8 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 9 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 10 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions