Clapton summer street party celebrates Windrush Generation
- Credit: Emma Wynne
Clapton residents flocked to Downs Park road to celebrate together at a Windrush Generation street party earlier this month.
The festivities, organised by Uprising Community Club and Hackney Council, included a bouncy castle, free haircuts, folk dancing and a puppet show performed by kids.
Partygoers tucked in to Caribbean barbecue dishes like Jerk chicken, fried fish, roasted corn and dumplings.
"It [brings] the community together. Everything is good - the food, the music, I like everything. I've come with my wife, and we look forward to coming every year," said Collin Waallac, 58.
Guests enjoyed performances from the Whittington Steel Band and the Uprising Community club group.
You may also want to watch:
"There's a warm atmosphere. We do dancing, games, and there's a great variety of food," said Hermine Anderson, 80.
Hackney speaker Cllr Kam Adams and former president of the Nurses Association of Jamaica, Paulette Lewis MBE also attended.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets