Clapton summer street party celebrates Windrush Generation
- Credit: Emma Wynne
Clapton residents flocked to Downs Park road to celebrate together at a Windrush Generation street party earlier this month.
The festivities, organised by Uprising Community Club and Hackney Council, included a bouncy castle, free haircuts, folk dancing and a puppet show performed by kids.
Partygoers tucked in to Caribbean barbecue dishes like Jerk chicken, fried fish, roasted corn and dumplings.
"It [brings] the community together. Everything is good - the food, the music, I like everything. I've come with my wife, and we look forward to coming every year," said Collin Waallac, 58.
Guests enjoyed performances from the Whittington Steel Band and the Uprising Community club group.
You may also want to watch:
"There's a warm atmosphere. We do dancing, games, and there's a great variety of food," said Hermine Anderson, 80.
Hackney speaker Cllr Kam Adams and former president of the Nurses Association of Jamaica, Paulette Lewis MBE also attended.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers