Closed down Hoxton pub The Duke of Wellington given rare protected status
- Credit: Vickie Flores/Archant
They might have been unable to stop their local pub closing, but campaigners can toast the securing of a rare protected status.
Time was called on The Duke of Wellington in Nile Street, Hoxton, at the end of January. But regulars Jason and Nicola Young took action and submitted an Asset of Community Value (ACV) application to Hackney Council.
Last week they found out they were successful in making the Duke the third pub in the borough to hold the status.
The owners must now inform the council before it is sold and if a group wants to buy it, a six-month buffer period can be triggered in an attempt to raise the money needed.
“It’s great news,” said Jason. “We want it reopened and this stops it being demolished. We are trying to force the owners’ hand.”
You may also want to watch:
A petition, also set up by Jason, has gathered 332 signatures in a bid to stop the Duke being sold and ensure it is kept on as a pub.
The owners now have eight weeks to appeal against the council’s decision. A council spokeswoman said the pub met the criteria for listing, adding that others could nominate buildings to help ensure they remained focal points in the community.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers