Community spirit comes out on tops at estate hit by Hackney riots
- Credit: Archant
Pembury Estate residents had never seen so many people come together for a community fun day at the weekend, and are clamouring for more.
Around 500 people turned out on Saturday for the free food, bouncy castle, baby-foot table, face and nail painting, massages and DJ entertainment.
Housing association Peabody said it organised the day to consult residents on their priorities and gauge their perception of the services they, the council and police provide on the Lower Clapton estate which saw rioters causing trouble nearly two years ago.
Two days after the death of Mark Duggan sparked outrage in Tottenham in August 2011, the unrest moved south and people mindlessly destroyed the Pembury Estate locality, setting cars alight and destroying the local newsagents.
Vatel Mbami, Peabody’s assistant head of neighbourhoods said: “Quite apart from the stated objectives of our community events, the sense of community that they bring out is very fulfilling for the staff working on the estate.
You may also want to watch:
“Several residents kept asking when the next one will take place.”
One nine-year old, Gary Clark from Marden House, for one would like to see similar events: “It is bringing people together, allowing them to know one another,” he said.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
See our photo gallery on the right hand side.