Congregation of 300 evacuated from burning Shoreditch church
- Credit: Google street view
A congregation of 300 was evacuated from Wesley’s Chapel yesterday, when the electrical room in its basement caught fire because of a faulty fuse box.
It took 20 firefighters using four fire engines an hour and a half to fight the blaze. They had it under control by 2pm.
Part of the electrical room in the basement of the methodist church was damaged.
The museum at the church is closed, because it has been left without electricity, and its phones, emails and lights are not working.
Administrators at the church in City Road, Shoreditch said the efficiency of the London Fire Brigade had saved them “from what might have been a very serious disaster”.
You may also want to watch:
“We thank God that, once again, we know what it means to feel like a brand plucked from the burning,” they said in a statement.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 10 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate