Foyth’s Argentina facing group stage elimination
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Spurs youngster was again an unused substitute as his country could only draw 1-1 with Paraguay in the Copa America
Tottenham Hotspur defender Juan Foyth could only watch on with disappointment as Argentina were held to a 1-1 draw by Paraguay in Group C of the Copa America.
It leaves the South American giants bottom of the group, with Qatar in third spot, and as things stand, the two-time World Cup winners are set for an early exit.
Foyth, like in the 2-0 loss to Colombia at the weekend, remained on the bench for the second Group C match.
Argentina didn't make the best of starts with Paraguay taking the lead towards the end of the first half, but Lionel Messi's penalty levelled the scores before the hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
Despite both teams creating further chances, no winner occurred and the 1-1 draw leaves the group finely poised.
Next up for Argentina will be a clash with Qatar on Sunday where they know only a win will do and even that might not be enough to see them reach the knock-out phase.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Colombia and Davinson Sanchez are already through to the quarter-finals after a 1-0 victory on Wednesday night.
Spurs' centre back starred in his nation's win over Argentina last weekend and again was included from the off against Qatar.
Goals were again few and far between, but Sanchez managed to register another shut out and saw Colombia grab a late winner through Duvan Zapata.
It kept them top of the group and Argentina's draw with Paraguay sent them through to the knock-out phase where they will meet the runner up in Group C.
Colombia have one more game left to play before the quarter-finals when Sanchez and Co take on Qatar on Sunday.
Tottenham's talented defender will again expect to start and aim to ensure his country keep up their 100 per cent record in Brazil so far.