Crackdown on Hackney traders over the illegal sale of fireworks to youngsters
Undercover op to catch retailers who flout law
Police and council trading standards officers have been working together to crack down on traders selling fireworks illegally to anyone aged under 18.
Checks on retailers who flout the law have been carried out in the run-up to Guy Fawkes night tomorrow (Friday), using police cadet decoys to make test purchases.
Shopkeepers caught selling fireworks to under-age customers, or who do not have a special licence, face prosecution.
Young people found in the street in possession of fireworks have been warned they can be fined �80, or jaile dif their actions cause harm or injury to others.
You may also want to watch:
“Fireworks can cause serious accidents when in the wrong hands and the illegal sale of fireworks to young people is irresponsible, unacceptable and dangerous,” said Cllr Feryal Demirci, Cabinet member for neighbourhoods.
“This operation sends out a clear message that the council will not tolerate illegal sales and will take action against any shopkeepers willing to flout the law.”
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
Hackney’s fire chief has also warned residents holding fireworks parties in their backyard not to underestimate the dangers.
“We encourage residents to attend properly organised displays, but where residents choose to organise their own, we urge them to buy fireworks from a legitimate, licensed outlet, follow all safety advice and instructions and never play with fireworks, or underestimate their potential to cause injury,” said Commander Graham Howgate, based at Shoreditch fire station,