Craft club brings friendship to Hackney Wick
An art club is calling for volunteers to help bring colour to the trees of Hackney Wick this weekend.
The Crafternoon Tea Club is planning to make an installation out of larger-than-life friendship bracelets which will be woven together in the trees in Wick Village Green.
Sessions to create the Wick Woven Web will be held the same weekend as the Olympic Torch goes through Hackney.
Founders of the Crafternoon Tea Club, Beccy McCray and Hannah Elbourne said the web is “literally made from the fabric of the community” and will represent the area’s social networks.
To join in, collect fabrics you no longer need – such as wool, string, ribbons and material - and bring them along on the day. The longer and stringier the better; artists will teach everyone how to join the pieces together using two strand knotting techniques.
You may also want to watch:
All ages are welcome to the sessions on July 21, 2-7pm, on Mabley Green and on July 22, 12-6pm, on Prince Edward’s Road (on front of the Hackney Pearl Caf�). There will be music and BBQs. The installation will be unveiled on July 27.
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 6 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney