East London tube pervert banned from Underground
PUBLISHED: 14:21 20 April 2015 | UPDATED: 14:21 20 April 2015
A middle-aged man has been banned from using the London Underground after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting a female passenger.
Muhammad Tahir of Millfields Road, groped a 25-year-old woman on a central line train at Mile End Station in July last year.
Tahir, 52, positioned himself behind his victim and rubbed his clenched fist along the hem of her skirt which caused it to move.
The woman felt a sudden brush against her and turned around to notice Tahir standing closely behind her.
The woman was able to move away from Tahir at the next stop, as passengers got off the bush tube.
However, Tahir followed her and once again pushed himself against her.
Detective Inspector James Chamberlin said: “Tahir took advantage of a crowded train to assault a woman travelling on her own.
“The persistence of Tahir, and the fact he pursued his victim, left the woman very shaken, but despite this she showed courage and determination throughout the investigation and I’d like to thank her for her bravery.
“Everyone has the right to travel on the rail network safely. We take every report of sexual assault seriously and will investigate each incident.”
Siwan Hayward, Transport for London’s Deputy Director of Enforcement and On-Street Operations, said: “BTP’s investigation to identify this man and subsequent sentence handed down for his predatory actions demonstrates that we will not tolerate any act of unwanted sexual behaviour on our network.
“We will continue to work closely with our policing partners to rid this kind of behaviour from our network. Very few people ever experience or witness crime on our network.
“However, if someone is ever made to feel uncomfortable, or – as in this case – is touched inappropriately, I would urge them to report it to the police by texting 61016 or calling 101. The report will be investigated and will always be taken seriously.”
Tahir was arrested and found guilty at an earlier hearing on Thursday, 5 March.
He was sentenced at the Old Bailey on Friday, 17 April to 26 weeks imprisonment suspended for two years with 12 months supervision and 150 hours unpaid work requirement.
He was also made subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order banning him from travelling on the London Underground system or enter any London Underground station between 7am and 10am and between 4pm and 7pm on any day, for five years.