Search

George Downing Estate: Murder investigation launched after man, 26, stabbed to death in Stoke Newington

PUBLISHED: 10:08 29 January 2018 | UPDATED: 17:07 29 January 2018

The George Downing Estate in Stoke Newington, where a man was stabbed to death. Picture: @999London

The George Downing Estate in Stoke Newington, where a man was stabbed to death. Picture: @999London

Archant

A murder investigation has been launched after a 26-year-old man was stabbed to death on the George Downing Estate in Stoke Newington last night.

Police remain at the scene on the George Downing Estate. Picture: Emma BartholomewPolice remain at the scene on the George Downing Estate. Picture: Emma Bartholomew

Police were called to the scene, off Cazenove Road, just after 11.30pm by medics. The victim had been knifed multiple times and was taken to hospital where he died an hour later.

His next of kin have been told.

No arrests have been made and the estate was taped off today while officers from the homicide and major crime command investigate.

Det Ch Insp Gary Holmes, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is a tragic incident which has led to a young man losing his life.

Daniel Frederick was stabbed to death in Shakspeare Walk, Stoke Newington, on January 8. Picture: Met PoliceDaniel Frederick was stabbed to death in Shakspeare Walk, Stoke Newington, on January 8. Picture: Met Police

“At this early stage we retain an open mind as to motive and several lines of inquiry are ongoing.

“I am appealing to anyone who was in the area of the George Downing Estate around the time of the incident to come forward, even if the information you have seems insignificant, as this may prove vital in piecing the events of this incident together.”

It is the second fatal stabbing this month in the N16 area. Daniel Frederick, 34, was killed yards from his home in Shakspeare Walk on the Milton Gardens Estate on January 8.

He was returning from a hospital check-up for his pregnant partner at 6pm when he was attacked, in what police believe was a case of mistaken identity.

Two arrests have been made over Daniel’s death. A 16-year-old has been bailed until next month and a 26-year-old man has been released under investigation.

Two days after Daniel’s death, a 19-year-old man was left fighting for his life after being stabbed in Lordship Road during an incident in which shots were fired. He has since been released.

A 27-year-old man was arrested and has been released under investigation.

Anyone with information about last night’s stabbing can contact police via 101, tweet @MetCC or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette