Search

Hackney officers probed in ‘Mark Duggan’ gun inquiry

PUBLISHED: 12:01 23 November 2011

Mark Duggan

Mark Duggan

Archant

Two Hackney officers have been placed under investigation over their response to a gun offence linked to the police shooting of Mark Duggan that sparked riots across the country.

The pair have been placed on restricted duties as the police watchdog looks into whether a gun recovered from the scene of the shooting of Mr Duggan in Tottenham had been used in a crime in Dalston a week earlier.

Unemployed Kevin Foster, 29, of no fixed abode, was charged last Wednesday with possession of a BBM Bruni Mod 92 handgun with intent to cause fear of violence after allegedly assaulting a man at the Lagoon Hair Salon, in Kingsland Road, on July 29.

He is due to appear at Waltham Forest Magistrates’ Court today and is also charged with transferring or selling a firearm.

Police believe the weapon could be the same gun found at scene where Mr Duggan was shot dead by police marksmen on August 4.

His death triggered the riots that spread across London and the country.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating the officers’ response to the first incident.

IPCC commissioner Sarah Green said: “Our investigation will consider whether all investigative lines were promptly identified and acted upon by officers from the Metropolitan Police Service and to what extent, if any, the conduct of this investigation may have impacted on the supply of the firearm found at the scene of the shooting of Mark Duggan.”

She said Mr Duggan’s family had been informed of the investigations and that IPCC family liaison managers were supporting them.

Initial reports that Mr Duggan shot at police were dismissed by ballistic tests which found that a bullet lodged in one officer’s radio was police issue.

A non-police issue handgun was recovered close to the scene.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “The Metropolitan Police Service has reviewed the original investigation conducted by two officers from Hackney borough into the actual bodily harm and possession of a firearm with intent incident that took place on 29 July in Kingsland Road, Hackney.

“Due to concerns about the quality of the investigative response the MPS has voluntarily referred the investigation to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

“They have informed us that they will conduct an independent investigation. The MPS has put both officers on restricted duties pending the outcome of this investigation.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette