Lewis Johnson moped death: Tragic teen’s pillion passenger jailed for stealing five smartphones

PUBLISHED: 16:05 15 November 2016 | UPDATED: 18:33 15 November 2016

Louis Kyriacou

Louis Kyriacou


The pillion passenger of tragic teen Lewis Johnson, who was killed when his motor scooter crashed during a police chase in February, was today jailed for a spree of phone thefts just minutes before the fatal collision.

The IPPC are investigating the death of a teenage moped rider after a police chase on Upper Clapton RoadThe IPPC are investigating the death of a teenage moped rider after a police chase on Upper Clapton Road

Louis Kyriacou, 20, of Pentonville Road, Islington, was riding behind Lewis, 18, who died when the vehicle crashed into a van in Clapton Common just before noon on February 9.

Kyriacou, who was injured but later discharged from hospital, was found with five stolen mobile phones in his jacket.

Police traced the scooter to Stamford Road soon after the first theft and a helicopter was scrambled after Lewis, a former pupil of St Aloysius College who lived in Holloway, failed to stop for police.

Kyriacou pleaded guilty to five thefts that morning around Hackney and Islington at Snaresbrook Crown Court, and was this morning jailed for 10 months.

The scene of the crash where Lewis Johnson diedThe scene of the crash where Lewis Johnson died

The first theft happened at 11am on February 9, when Kyriacou stole a 25-year-old man’s Samsung S6 mobile phone in St Peter’s Street, Islington.

The pair then grabbed an iPhone off an 18-year-old man in Kingsland Road, Dalston, at 11.16am.

Four minutes later a 55-year-old woman had her Samsung S6 edge stolen in Hackney Road at the junction with Queensbridge Road, and another 10 minutes down the line, a 39-year-old man had his iPhone 6 stolen in Old Street.

The final theft took place in City Road at 11.47am when an iPhone 6 was stolen from a 35-year-old man.

Four minutes after the last theft the scooter was involved in the fatal collision in Clapton Common.

After an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commision (IPCC) began, five officers who were in police cars pursuing the men were handed gross misconduct notices. Two are now under criminal investigation for their driving.

A spokesman for the IPCC told the Gazette today it is unlikely the investigation would conclude this year.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette