Morning Lane stabbing: Israel Ogunsola named as 18-year-old victim
PUBLISHED: 15:51 05 April 2018 | UPDATED: 11:42 06 April 2018
An 18-year-old stabbed to death off Morning Lane last night has been named as Israel Ogunsola by his father.
Israel was found fatally wounded in Link Street by officers on patrol at about 8pm and pronounced dead 25 minutes later. His killing was the second in Hackney within the space of just hours, after a man in his 50s died following a fight at Betfred in Upper Clapton Road.
Two 17-year-olds were arrested late on Wednesday evening on suspicion of murdering Israel, the Metropolitan Police said. It was reported by a national newspaper today that he had survived a stabbing in Old Street in the early hours of New Year’s Day – the same incident that left Steve Frank Narvaez-Jara dead.
Dele Ogunsola, who lives on the nearby Jack Dunning Estate, confirmed this afternoon that his teenage son was the victim.
Friends have today been paying their respects to the former City Academy Hackney student and the scene in Morning Lane is still taped off by police.
Hackney mayor Phil Glanville was travelling home on the bus last night when he saw police securing the crime scene at about 8.40pm.
He told the Gazette: “I was coming home from the Kingsmead Estate and the incident must have just occurred. I extend my condolences to the victim’s family and friends... it’s another family having to suffer in this way.”
On the wider escalation of violence both in Hackney and across London, the mayor added: “Earlier in the week we met with Sophie Linden [Sadiq Khan’s deputy for crime and policing] about joint responses to the rise in knife crime and shootings.
“We talked about what more could be done locally. This is a complex issue with a multitude of causes. The youth workers and the Integrated Gangs Unit and police are all continuing their day to day work but over the last six months there has been a real uplift.
“You have to look at police resources. That’s what has changed. We’ve lost one in four officers since 2010.”
Israel’s death takes the number of killings in the capital this year to more than 50, six of which have been in Hackney.
Mr Glanville said he had called a meeting next week with cross-agency organisations to talk about the violence in the borough and try and find a solution.
Ch Supt Sue Williams, who took over from Simon Laurence as borough commander last month ahead of the Hackney and Tower Hamlets police merger, said her officers “did all they could” to try to save Israel’s life, “rendering emergency first aid and chest compressions with the help of an off-duty paramedic until the ambulance service and London’s air ambulance arrived”.
She added: “They are devastated they were unable to prevent yet another tragic death in the capital.”
At the time of his death, Israel was awaiting sentencing for injuring a police officer in November during a hit-and-run in Stevenage.
The incident, which happened in the early hours of November 24, saw the officer and some colleagues try to stop the black Vauxhall Astra Israel was driving. He failed to stop, and continued on to a nearby road before trying to run off.
Israel admitted the charges at Stevenage Magistrates’ Court on December 20. He had been set for sentencing at St Albans Crown Court on February 14 – but the case was adjourned first to March 15 and then to April 20 so further medical reports could be prepared on him.
Additional reporting by Press Association.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.