Teenager pleads guilty to firing gun on Hackney’s Pembury Estate
PUBLISHED: 12:09 26 September 2012 | UPDATED: 19:30 26 September 2012
A teenager pleaded guilty to firing a gun on the Pembury Estate in court yesterday.
The 16-year old who cannot be named for legal reasons, was only 15 when he fired the weapon on the estate in Lower Clapton on January 31, just before 7pm.
It is believed he wanted to warn off rival gang members.
When police arrived they discovered three parked vehicles had been damaged by bullets.
Detectives investigated the incident and traced the suspect to Ipswich where he moved shortly after the shooting.
However shortly after the incident he moved out of London, and was arrested in Ipswich, in Suffolk, in July.
He pleaded guilty at Snaresbrook Crown Court to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and possession of a firearm, and now awaits sentencing.
DC Amy Trencher of Trident Northeast Shootings Team said they were grateful to the local community for their support and assistance, which was invaluable in bringing him to justice.
“The perpetrator was only 15 at the time of the offence, but he had access to a firearm and was obviously prepared to use it,” she said.
“The use of firearms, particularly in public places, will not be tolerated and the perpetrators of these offences, whatever their age, will be pursed by Trident.”
Trident can take special measures to protect witnesses’ identities in court.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.