21 years for Stoke Newington couple over child abuse between 1960s and 1980s
- Credit: Archant
An elderly couple were today jailed for a total 21 years over child abuse in Stoke Newington between the 1960s and 1980s.
Roy Stannard, 74, and Valerie Stannard, 73, denied the child cruelty charges, which related to five victims. But they were found guilty on March 28 after a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
Roy Stannard was also found guilty of multiple indecent assaults against a girl, groping her and asking her to do sexual acts to him. He also punched one of the children and beat him regularly.
He was sentenced to 12 years in prison, of which nine years related to the sexual offences, and three years for the child cruelty.
Valerie Stannard, meanwhile, held a child’s hands over a gas flame, put a lit newspaper down his trousers, and soap down his throat. She tied another to a chair and shut him in a cupboard. She was sentenced to nine years in prison.
You may also want to watch:
London Crown Prosecution Service reviewing lawyer Amee Patel said: “Valerie and Roy Stannard inflicted years of psychological and physical abuse on their victims.
“They both dismissed these allegations but witness testimony from their victims, now in their 60s, led to these convictions.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 8 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
“Their actions have led to immeasurable ongoing harm to these individuals who suffered at their hands. I hope today’s sentences can help them move on from the pain they have suffered as a result of these experiences all those years ago.”