Arrests following alleged rape of boy in Hackney and other attempted abductions
- Credit: Archant
Parents in Hackney have been warned to be vigilant following the alleged rape of a boy and the attempted abduction of other youngsters.
Detectives from the Met’s sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command (SOECA) are investigating the alleged sexual assault in Oldhill Street, Stamford Hill, on Sunday of last week, and have so far arrested two men.
Shomrim, the volunteer Hasidic Jewish civilian security group which patrols the area, has warned about two other alleged attempted abductions which occurred nearby on the same day.
And a mother has contacted the Gazette after reading last week’s “disturbing article” to say that two months ago a man tried to lure her 11-year old son and another boy into his house using toy water guns.
The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, had been visiting a relative on an estate near Oldhill Street, while her son was playing football with four other boys outside. She said: “I could not see him from the door so went to look for him inside the block.
You may also want to watch:
“I found him on this man’s doorstep about to enter his house. He had told the boys they had to go in to find the toy. I pushed this male away from my son and called the police who attended three hours later.”
Following the latest incident, Shomrim volunteers worked with the victims and their families throughout the day, and continue to offer them support.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
The group issued a statement reminding parents to advise children never to accept food or gifts from a stranger, even if they do not look suspicious.
Chaim Hochhauser, a supervisor at Shomrim, told the Gazette: “Shomrim have worked tirelessly throughout the last few days, successfully locating several witnesses including some vital CCTV footage which was all passed on to the police.”
Supt Andy Walker, from Hackney police, confirmed there would be extra police patrols.
He said: “These sorts of offences are very rare, but they are particularly upsetting incidents and I understand the effect that this may have on local people.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the Shomrim for their help in getting this message out to local people and for their continued support in keeping Hackney safe”.
A 44-year-old man and a 22-year-old man have both been arrested separately on suspicion of rape and were bailed until next month, pending further enquiries.