‘Attack’ on Hackney police officers circulates social media
- Credit: Archant
A video of police officers being “attacked” by a group of men in Hackney is circulating social media.
In the footage, which has been watched more than 267,000 times on Twitter since it was posted yesterday (June 10), two police officers can be seen fending off a group of men, one of which has a bat-like item.
It starts with one officer being held on the floor with his mouth covered, before a second officer steps in to the confrontation and calls for backup.
“This is truly despicable and society should never accept such behaviour - we are here to protect you,” BCU Cmdr Marcus Barnett tweeted.
“The officers are safe, but clearly shaken and incredibly brave too. Arrests will be made... This must stop.”
READ MORE: Police release image of car connected to Lower Clapton ShootingHackney mayor Philip Glanville said: “Anyone seeing these videos tonight will be as shocked and horrified as I am by this attack on two Hackney police officers.
You may also want to watch:
“My thoughts are with both officers and praise their bravery when faced with this situation. Our police are here to protect us and scenes like this are unacceptable.”
He later added: “Elsewhere on Twitter I have already seen people quickly making disgusting racist comments about this incident. This is also unacceptable and an attack not just on Hackney’s diverse communities, but also the @MPSHackney who as this video shows are also diverse public servants.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
The original Tweet, which was posted by @CrimeLdn, has been retweeted about 1,900 times.