John Howard Centre escape: Police warn the public to dial 999 if they spot tattooed absconder
- Credit: met police
Police have warned the public to dial 999 immediately if they spot a John Howard Centre patient who absconded from the medium secure unit four days ago.
Schizophrenic Ayanda Mpontshane, 24, gave his escort the slip while he was attending hospital for a routine appointment on Thursday.
He was wearing a tag but soon removed it.
Police issued an appeal to trace Mpontshane - who they have warned must not be approached - on Sunday night.
Mpontshane is a black male, aged 24, 5ft 8ins tall, of medium build with short spiky hair and tattoos on his neck and arms.
When last seen he was wearing black jeans, grey T-shirt, green checked shirt and black trainers.
Anyone with information concerning his whereabouts call 999 quoting 2302385/20.
- 1 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 2 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 3 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 4 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 5 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 6 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 7 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 8 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 9 Hackney man wanted by Surrey Police
- 10 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
The centre in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, came under the spotlight in 2015 when MPs Meg Hillier and Diane Abbott called for safety to be the "highest priority" after a spate of high-profile offenders - including a violent rapist, child snatcher and the man dubbed "Britain's most prolific burglar" - went on the run while on escorted leave.