John Howard Centre escape: Police warn the public to dial 999 if they spot tattooed absconder
- Credit: met police
Police have warned the public to dial 999 immediately if they spot a John Howard Centre patient who absconded from the medium secure unit four days ago.
Schizophrenic Ayanda Mpontshane, 24, gave his escort the slip while he was attending hospital for a routine appointment on Thursday.
He was wearing a tag but soon removed it.
Police issued an appeal to trace Mpontshane - who they have warned must not be approached - on Sunday night.
Mpontshane is a black male, aged 24, 5ft 8ins tall, of medium build with short spiky hair and tattoos on his neck and arms.
You may also want to watch:
When last seen he was wearing black jeans, grey T-shirt, green checked shirt and black trainers.
Anyone with information concerning his whereabouts call 999 quoting 2302385/20.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
The centre in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, came under the spotlight in 2015 when MPs Meg Hillier and Diane Abbott called for safety to be the "highest priority" after a spate of high-profile offenders - including a violent rapist, child snatcher and the man dubbed "Britain's most prolific burglar" - went on the run while on escorted leave.