John Howard Centre escape: Police warn the public to dial 999 if they spot tattooed absconder
- Credit: met police
Police have warned the public to dial 999 immediately if they spot a John Howard Centre patient who absconded from the medium secure unit four days ago.
Schizophrenic Ayanda Mpontshane, 24, gave his escort the slip while he was attending hospital for a routine appointment on Thursday.
He was wearing a tag but soon removed it.
Police issued an appeal to trace Mpontshane - who they have warned must not be approached - on Sunday night.
Mpontshane is a black male, aged 24, 5ft 8ins tall, of medium build with short spiky hair and tattoos on his neck and arms.
You may also want to watch:
When last seen he was wearing black jeans, grey T-shirt, green checked shirt and black trainers.
Anyone with information concerning his whereabouts call 999 quoting 2302385/20.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
The centre in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, came under the spotlight in 2015 when MPs Meg Hillier and Diane Abbott called for safety to be the "highest priority" after a spate of high-profile offenders - including a violent rapist, child snatcher and the man dubbed "Britain's most prolific burglar" - went on the run while on escorted leave.