John Howard Centre escape: Police warn the public to dial 999 if they spot tattooed absconder
- Credit: met police
Police have warned the public to dial 999 immediately if they spot a John Howard Centre patient who absconded from the medium secure unit four days ago.
Schizophrenic Ayanda Mpontshane, 24, gave his escort the slip while he was attending hospital for a routine appointment on Thursday.
He was wearing a tag but soon removed it.
Police issued an appeal to trace Mpontshane - who they have warned must not be approached - on Sunday night.
Mpontshane is a black male, aged 24, 5ft 8ins tall, of medium build with short spiky hair and tattoos on his neck and arms.
You may also want to watch:
When last seen he was wearing black jeans, grey T-shirt, green checked shirt and black trainers.
Anyone with information concerning his whereabouts call 999 quoting 2302385/20.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 5 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 6 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 7 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 8 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
The centre in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, came under the spotlight in 2015 when MPs Meg Hillier and Diane Abbott called for safety to be the "highest priority" after a spate of high-profile offenders - including a violent rapist, child snatcher and the man dubbed "Britain's most prolific burglar" - went on the run while on escorted leave.