Beware the ‘payback unit’: nearly £40,000 assets seized from Hackney drug dealer
- Credit: Archant
A drug dealer from Hackney has had assets worth nearly £40,000 seized following a police investigation.
Antony Hariades, 39, of Bramshaw Road in Homerton was arrested in March after he was found with cocaine, cannabis and several pills at the Catch 22 nightclub in Kingsland Road, Dalston.
A subsequent search of his home unearthed a large and varied quantity of drugs including cannabis, cocaine, ketamine, MDMA, amphetamine and diazepam.
On April 13 he was convicted and sentenced to 56 months’ imprisonment for drugs supply offences.
Hackney police’s payback unit began an investigation into his financial affairs and under the Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) legislation, £19,485 was seized upon arrest, £14,509 was seized from his bank accounts, as well as an Audi A3 valued at £4,225.
You may also want to watch:
DC Nerys Lloyd George of from the pay back unit said: “This investigation has removed a substantial amount of drugs destined for the streets of London and the profits made from drug dealing.
“The case highlights the work that payback units do, working alongside operational teams, ensuring criminals to do not benefit from their activities. Whatever your lifestyle, the police will pursue you through the courts and take money earned through criminal activity away.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting