Brave PCSO chased after man who shot at him with submachine gun

The submachine gun

The submachine gun - Credit: Archant

A brave Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) who chased after a drug dealer who fired a submachine gun at him in Hackney Downs was praised for his bravery by a judge.

Shaibu (left) and Nelson

Shaibu (left) and Nelson - Credit: Archant

Mubarak Shaibu, 25, of Amhurst Road, Lower Clapton, had set out with Scott Nelson, 27, of Warton Road, Stratford, on April 5 last year to carry out a retribution attack on a group they believed was responsible for assaulting one of their gang associates.

Armed with the weapon, Shaibu, and another man cycled to the Pembury Estate and tried to attack three men who ran off, with Shaibu and the other man in pursuit, in a drama witnessed by police officers patrolling the estate.

A PCSO, who heard about the altercation over the radio, shouted at Shaibu to stop – but he drew the gun and fired a shot at him.

The brave PCSO who was not injured, ran after Shaibu and from a distance saw him enter a block of flats on the Downs Estate.

Armed officers were drafted in, and Shaibu and Nelson were arrested.

A pair of latex gloves were found outside which linked Nelson forensically to the gun.

Most Read

A submachine gun was found in the communal loft area of the flats, and tests revealed firearms residue on Shaibu’s face, linking him to the discharge of the gun.

Det Insp Andy George of the Trident and Area Crime Command who led the investigation, said: “Shaibu and Nelson set out on that day to carry out an act of violence.

Shaibu’s decision to fire his gun at a PCSO shows there was no regard who came to harm as a result of his actions.”

Sentencing Shaibu and Nelson, Judge Hone praised the PCSO who pursued Shaibu, commending him for his actions.

“This highlights the dangers Met employees face while they carry out their duties protecting Londoners.

“This sentencing sends a strong message to those who believe violence is an acceptable way to settle scores. Trident detectives will find you, arrest you and put you before the courts.”

Shaibu pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and possession of ammunition with intent at an earlier hearing, and was jailed for 24 years at the Old Bailey on Friday.

Nelson was found guilty of possession of a firearm and of assisting an offender on Thursday following a trial at the Old Bailey and was jailed for 12 years.