Broadway Market stabbing: Warnings issued after gang of youths seen running around ‘armed with machetes and large knives’
- Credit: Picture: @999London
Eye witnesses reported seeing a gang of 20 youths armed with machetes and large knives running around Broadway Market last night, as another person was stabbed in the area in the space of 24 hours.
Emergency services were called to the popular market street just before 11.30pm to reports of a group of people fighting.
A boy, believed to be in his mid teens, was found with stab injuries, and was treated at the scene before being taken to an east London hospital.
His injuries were not life threatening according to Scotland Yard.
Broadway Market was taped off by police officers, who found a discarded weapon close to where the victim was knifed.
You may also want to watch:
By 2am Det Supt Courcha had issued a Section 60 covering the whole of Hackney until 9am this morning - meaning officers could stop and search anyone without needing to have reasonable grounds for suspicion, as is usually the case.
Hackney Police reported yesterday that its violence suppression unit had seized one knuckle duster, one set of nunchucks - which is a traditional martial arts weapon made up of two sticks connected at one end by a short chain or rope - two large knives, a hammer and a “significant amount” of cannabis, as well as cash whilst responding to various incidents across Hackney.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
The incident followed a stabbing at 4am on Thursday morning close by in London Fields nearby. A 15-year-old was rushed to hospital with wounds to his head and back.
His condition is not thought to be life-threatening according to police officers.
Adriene Klasa warned people on Twitter to avoid the area last night, saying: “Was just on Broadway Market below London Fields. There were a number of people with large knives on the street about 20 mins ago. They were heading south.”
Another witness, J Sheffield, also issued a warning, saying: “20 or more gang kids on bikes with machetes/large knives running/cycling through London fields/broadway market attacking each other. I was just there! Scary stuff. Avoid the area.”
Oliver Tomkins, who also saw similar scenes, said: “Youths with machetes running down Broadway Market tonight, without fear of being caught, stabbing each other. Stabbing in the field yesterday. Are you going to deal with the situation Hackney Police.”
Broadway Market was taped off last night as police carried out an investigation, and Hackney Police drafted “additional resources” into the area who were conducting patrols.
A 17-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of GBH in connection with the stabbing in London Fields yesterday.
Anyone who witnessed the incident in Broadway Market or has information should call 101, tweet @MetCC quoting 9378:30JUL20 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.