Bungling hitman jailed as judge berates “particularly bloodthirsty feud” between Hackney Turks and Tottenham Turks

Family wedding - (L-R) Ahmet Paytak, his daughter the bride Elif Paytak, groom Tuncay Ganidagli, Ahm

Family wedding - (L-R) Ahmet Paytak, his daughter the bride Elif Paytak, groom Tuncay Ganidagli, Ahmet's wife Ayse Paytak, their son Kemal Paytak. - Credit: Archant

A bungling hitman who shot an innocent shopkeeper dead in a botched revenge attack during a bloody Turkish gang war has been jailed for 32 years.

Ahmet Paytak

Ahmet Paytak - Credit: Archant

Ricardo Dwyer, 27, burst into Euro Food and Wine in Hornsey Road, Holloway on March 22 2009, firing four rounds from a 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

Cashier Ahmet Paytak, 50, was killed and his son Huseyin, 21 was seriously wounded.

The bullets were meant for another staff member, Mehmet Senpalit.

The jury at the Old Bailey heard how Dwyer was a “hired gunman” recruited by leader of the Hackney Turks, Kemal Armagan – who has since fled to Turkey – to carry out the hit on Senpalit, a leading member of the rival Tottenham Turks gang who worked in the shop owned by his father.

The feud began when Armagan was badly beaten up by Senpalit and his gang in a brawl at the Manor Club in Manor House two months previously and vowed deadly revenge.

After a series of incursions onto each other’s territory and several non-fatal shootings, two balaclava-clad gunmen burst into the E5 Social Club, in Upper Clapton Road – known Armagan territory – and opened fire.

Most Read

Within four and a half hours Mr Paytak was dead.

Judge Anthony Morris called it a “particularly bloodthirsty feud” and said the warring gangs had turned north London into a “battleground”.

“Both father and son found themselves to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and had nothing whatsoever to do with the terrible feud which is still going on and makes this part of London such a dangerous place to go,” he said.

Dwyer, who lived between Malpas Road, Lower Clapton and Burntwood House, Woodberry Down Estate, Finsbury Park, was driven to the scene on a motorbike by Michael James, who is serving 25 years for murder.

Dwyer denied murder and attempted murder but was convicted during a retrial after the first jury failed to agree.