Burglar who stole £18k of heirlooms from Shoreditch flat to feed crack addiction jailed for six years
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who stole £18,000 in heirlooms from a Shoreditch flat to fuel his crack cocaine addiction has been jailed for six years.
John Mallaghan, 43, raided the property in Shoreditch High Street weeks before Christmas, stealing diamond rings, earrings, necklaces, watches and cash.
Police traced him through DNA found on a drinks carton he dumped in the flat, but weren’t able to catch him until February because he was homeless. He was jailed for six years and three months at Wood Green Crown Court yesterday.
None of the items have been recovered and police have released pictures of the distinctive items in the hope of tracking them down.
Det Insp Paul Ridley said: “The victims have been left devastated. This case is made even more poignant by the fact the victim’s mother, who cherished the sentimental gold watch, died only weeks ago.”
You may also want to watch:
Contact Hackney CID on 101, or by tweeting @MetCC.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 9 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 10 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London