Burglar who stole £18k of heirlooms from Shoreditch flat to feed crack addiction jailed for six years
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who stole £18,000 in heirlooms from a Shoreditch flat to fuel his crack cocaine addiction has been jailed for six years.
John Mallaghan, 43, raided the property in Shoreditch High Street weeks before Christmas, stealing diamond rings, earrings, necklaces, watches and cash.
Police traced him through DNA found on a drinks carton he dumped in the flat, but weren’t able to catch him until February because he was homeless. He was jailed for six years and three months at Wood Green Crown Court yesterday.
None of the items have been recovered and police have released pictures of the distinctive items in the hope of tracking them down.
Det Insp Paul Ridley said: “The victims have been left devastated. This case is made even more poignant by the fact the victim’s mother, who cherished the sentimental gold watch, died only weeks ago.”
You may also want to watch:
Contact Hackney CID on 101, or by tweeting @MetCC.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12