Burglar who stole £18k of heirlooms from Shoreditch flat to feed crack addiction jailed for six years
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who stole £18,000 in heirlooms from a Shoreditch flat to fuel his crack cocaine addiction has been jailed for six years.
John Mallaghan, 43, raided the property in Shoreditch High Street weeks before Christmas, stealing diamond rings, earrings, necklaces, watches and cash.
Police traced him through DNA found on a drinks carton he dumped in the flat, but weren’t able to catch him until February because he was homeless. He was jailed for six years and three months at Wood Green Crown Court yesterday.
None of the items have been recovered and police have released pictures of the distinctive items in the hope of tracking them down.
Det Insp Paul Ridley said: “The victims have been left devastated. This case is made even more poignant by the fact the victim’s mother, who cherished the sentimental gold watch, died only weeks ago.”
You may also want to watch:
Contact Hackney CID on 101, or by tweeting @MetCC.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 7 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 8 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding