Cafe rapist from Hackney jailed for 13 years
- Credit: Archant
A rapist who preyed on two women while he was at work in a cafe has been jailed for 13 years.
Zeynel Ulcay, 47, of Morning Lane, was found guilty of one count of rape, one count of attempted rape and two counts of sexual assault.
But police believe he may have attacked other women and have appealed for any more victims to come forward.
He sexually assaulted the first woman, 25, in December 2014, touching her and trying to kiss her.
On another occasion he told her to go to a back room, where he attacked her – pushing her onto a bed and attempting to rape her despite the customers in the cafe. He stopped his attack when she screamed.
You may also want to watch:
The next night he locked the front door to ensure no customers could come in and raped her in the back room.
The victim reported it to police six months later. Ulcay was arrested and charged with rape, attempted rape and sexual assault and remanded in custody.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
Before he was arrested, he sexually assaulted another woman in the cafe, touching her breasts and bottom over her clothing.
He gave the woman, 26, almost £600 to stop her going to the police. She left the cafe and reported the incident to police, also giving them the cash.
Det Const Sophie Matthews of Scotland Yard’s sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command said today: “Zeynel Ulcay actively sought out, targeted and preyed on vulnerable women for his own sexual gratification.
“I would like to thank both of the victims in this case for their courage throughout this investigation. Both were determined to attend court and see justice done, and the sentence handed down reflects the gravity of his offences and effect they have had on the victims’ lives.”
The cafe’s CCTV clearly showed the second attack, police said, and Ulcay was arrested and charged with sexual assault. He was on bail and awaiting trial when police received the rape allegation by the first victim.
On January 11, Ulcay was found guilty of all charges following a trial at Wood Green Crown Court. One of the women provided a statement detailing the devastating effect the attacks had on her life.
Ulcay was yesterday caged for 13 years and told he would serve two thirds of it before being considered for probation. He will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.
Det Const Matthews added: “Should anyone recognise Zeynel Ulcay or believe they have been a victim at his hands, I would ask them to contact us.
“We have teams of specialist officers ready to help, and excellent links with other support services.”