Captured killer Lerone Boye appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A convicted killer, who was at large for over three months after escaping from a secure mental health unit, appeared in court today.
Lerone Michael Boye - who murdered a teenager in two years ago - was charged with being unlawfully at large at Hendon Magistrates’ Court.
The 27-year old of no fixed abode absconded from the John Howard Centre in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, on October 16.
Police offered a reward of up to £15,000 for any information leading to his arrest.
He was captured yesterday afternoon in a planned operation in Elderberry Close, Chigwell at around 3.55pm.
You may also want to watch:
Dean Ablakwa, 29, a member of staff at the John Howard Centre, has been charged with conspiracy to assist an offender escape from lawful custody.
Mr Ablakwa, from north London, has been remanded in police custody and will appear at Snaresbrook Crown court later this month.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 7 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 8 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
Boye was the second potentially dangerous patient to escape from the centre in the space of four months.
He was sentenced to 28 years in jail at the Old Bailey last December for the murder of 17-year-old Kelvin Chibueze in August 2011.
The teenager was attacked in a mass brawl involving knives and bar stools at a private party in Ilford.
He managed to flee, but tripped outside a Lidl supermarket and four rival gang members – including Boye – sat on his legs to stop him running away, before stabbing him repeatedly with a foot-long blade.