Con man pretending to be police officer mugging people in Hackney
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A con artist impersonating a police officer stole wallets and mobile phones after mugging three men in the space of 24 hours.
Detectives have now warned people to be vigilant while they hunt for the man, who told the victims he was a plain clothes officer and demanded to see ID before searching them.
He is white, aged between 40 and 50 and about 5ft 10in with short hair.
The first incident was on Sunday at about 1.25am in Alvington Crescent, Dalston, when he stole a wallet. That same evening between 5pm and 6pm he confronted a man in Evering Road, Stoke Newington and demanded he confirmed his identity before taking his bank card and pone.
Then at 3.50am yesterday he approached a man near Willow Cottages, Stoke Newington, and told him he needed to search him. He then assaulted him and took his phone and wallet.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Mark Longley of Hackney CID said: “A genuine police officer will always identify themselves using an official warrant card. This will always be in their possession and be available for inspection whether or not they are in uniform. Members of the public can also call 101 to confirm the identity of a police officer.
“Work is underway to identify and arrest this man but I would ask that all members of the public remain vigilant and contact police immediately if they are approached by this individual.”
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
Anyone with information can call Hackney police on 07825 793 215 or contact them via Twitter @MetCC. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or at crimestoppers-uk.org.