Crime rising year-on-year in Hackney
- Credit: PA WIRE
Crime is on the rise in Hackney, the latest Met figures show.
At the end of February, there had been 1,511 more offences committed than at the same time the previous year, a rise of 6pc.
Hackney now has the fourth highest crime rate of the nine borough’s the Met uses for comparison - this time last year it was sixth.
All major crimes have risen, with violence against person offences spiking by 12pc and 844.
GBH is up 4pc (29 more crimes), harassment up 28pc (564 more crimes) and offensive weapon incidents up 21pc (31 more offences).
You may also want to watch:
All theft-related crimes are up 3pc (264 more crimes) and burglary has increased by 4pc, with 104 more residential burglaries.
Racist and religious offences have increased by 6pc, with 31 more offences, the second highest of the same nine boroughs, although seven others have also seen a spike.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
They specifically include a 39pc rise in homophobic crime (28 more offences) and a 26pc rise in Islamophobic crime (seven more offences). Anti-Semitic crime is down 20pc (22 less offences).