Crime rising year-on-year in Hackney
- Credit: PA WIRE
Crime is on the rise in Hackney, the latest Met figures show.
At the end of February, there had been 1,511 more offences committed than at the same time the previous year, a rise of 6pc.
Hackney now has the fourth highest crime rate of the nine borough’s the Met uses for comparison - this time last year it was sixth.
All major crimes have risen, with violence against person offences spiking by 12pc and 844.
GBH is up 4pc (29 more crimes), harassment up 28pc (564 more crimes) and offensive weapon incidents up 21pc (31 more offences).
You may also want to watch:
All theft-related crimes are up 3pc (264 more crimes) and burglary has increased by 4pc, with 104 more residential burglaries.
Racist and religious offences have increased by 6pc, with 31 more offences, the second highest of the same nine boroughs, although seven others have also seen a spike.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
They specifically include a 39pc rise in homophobic crime (28 more offences) and a 26pc rise in Islamophobic crime (seven more offences). Anti-Semitic crime is down 20pc (22 less offences).