Crime rising year-on-year in Hackney
- Credit: PA WIRE
Crime is on the rise in Hackney, the latest Met figures show.
At the end of February, there had been 1,511 more offences committed than at the same time the previous year, a rise of 6pc.
Hackney now has the fourth highest crime rate of the nine borough’s the Met uses for comparison - this time last year it was sixth.
All major crimes have risen, with violence against person offences spiking by 12pc and 844.
GBH is up 4pc (29 more crimes), harassment up 28pc (564 more crimes) and offensive weapon incidents up 21pc (31 more offences).
You may also want to watch:
All theft-related crimes are up 3pc (264 more crimes) and burglary has increased by 4pc, with 104 more residential burglaries.
Racist and religious offences have increased by 6pc, with 31 more offences, the second highest of the same nine boroughs, although seven others have also seen a spike.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 9 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
They specifically include a 39pc rise in homophobic crime (28 more offences) and a 26pc rise in Islamophobic crime (seven more offences). Anti-Semitic crime is down 20pc (22 less offences).