Crime rising year-on-year in Hackney
- Credit: PA WIRE
Crime is on the rise in Hackney, the latest Met figures show.
At the end of February, there had been 1,511 more offences committed than at the same time the previous year, a rise of 6pc.
Hackney now has the fourth highest crime rate of the nine borough’s the Met uses for comparison - this time last year it was sixth.
All major crimes have risen, with violence against person offences spiking by 12pc and 844.
GBH is up 4pc (29 more crimes), harassment up 28pc (564 more crimes) and offensive weapon incidents up 21pc (31 more offences).
You may also want to watch:
All theft-related crimes are up 3pc (264 more crimes) and burglary has increased by 4pc, with 104 more residential burglaries.
Racist and religious offences have increased by 6pc, with 31 more offences, the second highest of the same nine boroughs, although seven others have also seen a spike.
- 1 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 2 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 3 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 4 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site
- 5 Cargo bike sharing comes to Stoke Newington, London Fields and Shoreditch
- 6 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 7 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 8 Mural competition launched for Homerton green corridor
- 9 No queues or check outs at Dalston's new Amazon Fresh store
- 10 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
They specifically include a 39pc rise in homophobic crime (28 more offences) and a 26pc rise in Islamophobic crime (seven more offences). Anti-Semitic crime is down 20pc (22 less offences).