Crimewatch reconstructs murder of Marvin Couson who died 13 years after shooting
- Credit: Archant
The murder of Marvin Couson - who died 13 years after he was shot in Shoreditch - will be reconstructed tonight on BBC’s Crimewatch.
The events leading up to his death on August 8 last year will be shown on the programme alongside interviews with his family and investigating officer DCI Noel McHugh, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command.
Marvin’s family launched an emotional plea to trace his killer last November on what would have been his 40th birthday.
The fitter of shop security systems had been confined to a hospital bed unable to communicate or do anything for himself since he was shot in the chest aged 26 outside what is now known as the Queen of Hoxton just after 3.30am on May 12 2002.
At the time the Lime in London Bar in Curtain Road, Shoreditch was hosting a commercial party but the 600 people in attendance fled, including Marvin, when shots were fired inside.
You may also want to watch:
Marvin, a father-of-two of Dallington Road, West Norwood, was left fighting for his life, with injuries to his heart and other internal organs, and was never able to communicate again, care for himself or leave his hospital bed.
A murder investigation was opened after a post-mortem examination gave the cause of his death as a brain injury suffered as a direct result of the shooting.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
DCI McHugh wants to speak with everyone who was at the Lime Bar that night: “We are hoping tonight’s reconstruction will jog a few memories. “Marvin’s shooting happened many years ago but you would remember if you were there that night and were one of those who fled in panic as shots were fired inside the bar.
“I remain concerned some people could have a misguided sense of loyalty and are possibly protecting those who carried out this attack.
“Marvin should have celebrated his 40th birthday in November - instead he spent 13 years in a hospital bed unable to do anything for himself before tragically succumbing to his injuries.
“If you have information, not matter how small and irrelevant you may think it is, please come forward.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8785 8099 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
BBC Crimewatch airs at 9pm tonight on BBC1.