Dalston takeaway Bombay Munch back serving curry...just a WEEK after rat infestation forced closure
- Credit: Archant
An Indian takeaway that was closed after rat droppings were found on food containers has reopened for business – after a week.
Bombay Munch in Shacklewell Lane, Dalston, was given a court order to stop trading on April 15 after Environmental Health officers found a “heavily gnawed” flour sack in the food storage and preparation room.
They said on inspection they were “overwhelmed” by the smell of rat urine in the rear room, where fresh droppings were also found on the floor, on shelving and on the plastic boxes used for dishing up meals.
The serious health risk and a lack of personal hygiene provisions led to a “hygiene emergency prohibition notice” being issued to the owner, Dalston (London) Limited, requiring it to close.
But just over a week after the council was given permission to shut it at Stratford Magistrates Court, it was open again.
You may also want to watch:
Health officers inspected the restaurant, a “creative Indian eatery”, and said they were satisfied it had addressed the health problems and rat infestation.
A Hackney Council spokeswoman said: “Following closure after legal action, the restaurant was able to conduct corrective work to address health risks and the pest infestation on the property.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
“A follow up satisfactory inspection has now taken place, and since the correct action and precautions have now been taken, the restaurant is now legally able to open for trade.”