‘Dangerous’ John Howard Centre psychiatric patient Sanchez Edwards wanted after widow, 92, robbed in Hoxton
- Credit: Archant
A “dangerous and violent” man who has been missing from the John Howard Centre medium secure unit since May is now wanted for questioning by police over the violent robbery of a frail 92-year-old woman in Hoxton last week.
Sanchez Edwards failed to return from unescorted leave from the centre in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, on May 17.
Edwards, a paranoid schizophrenic with a history of drug use, had been admitted to the centre on January 29 last year, and was later convicted and sentenced to an unrestricted hospital order under Section 37 Mental Health Act for an assault against a member of hospital staff.
No appeal was ever issued to try and find him because he was deemed “medium risk”, and detectives are now frantically trying to locate him over the horrific mugging.
The recently-widowed victim had just popped out to post a letter and was headed to the Lawson Medical Centre off Hoxton Street when she was attacked from behind in the grounds last Tuesday.
Footage shows the robber using so much force the woman is pulled to the ground.
But refusing to let go of her bag she was dragged until she was “in so much pain that she eventually let go”, according to Scotland Yard.
- 1 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 2 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 3 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 4 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 5 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 6 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 7 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
Det Insp Paul Ridley from Hackney CID who is leading the investigation into the robbery, said, “Sanchez Edwards is a dangerous man with a strong history of violence.
“My team are completing fast-time enquiries to attempt to locate him but I require the public’s assistance.
“If you see Edwards then do not approach him but immediately call 999 or alert a nearby police officer.”
Edwards is described as a dark skinned black male, 5ft 9ins, with short black hair, medium build and a black beard.
Anyone with details of Sanchez Edwards’ whereabouts is asked to contact Hackney CID via 101 quoting the operation name Brunton, or to give information anonymously call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.