‘Dangerous’ John Howard Centre psychiatric patient Sanchez Edwards wanted after widow, 92, robbed in Hoxton
- Credit: Archant
A “dangerous and violent” man who has been missing from the John Howard Centre medium secure unit since May is now wanted for questioning by police over the violent robbery of a frail 92-year-old woman in Hoxton last week.
Sanchez Edwards failed to return from unescorted leave from the centre in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, on May 17.
Edwards, a paranoid schizophrenic with a history of drug use, had been admitted to the centre on January 29 last year, and was later convicted and sentenced to an unrestricted hospital order under Section 37 Mental Health Act for an assault against a member of hospital staff.
No appeal was ever issued to try and find him because he was deemed “medium risk”, and detectives are now frantically trying to locate him over the horrific mugging.
The recently-widowed victim had just popped out to post a letter and was headed to the Lawson Medical Centre off Hoxton Street when she was attacked from behind in the grounds last Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Footage shows the robber using so much force the woman is pulled to the ground.
But refusing to let go of her bag she was dragged until she was “in so much pain that she eventually let go”, according to Scotland Yard.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
Det Insp Paul Ridley from Hackney CID who is leading the investigation into the robbery, said, “Sanchez Edwards is a dangerous man with a strong history of violence.
“My team are completing fast-time enquiries to attempt to locate him but I require the public’s assistance.
“If you see Edwards then do not approach him but immediately call 999 or alert a nearby police officer.”
Edwards is described as a dark skinned black male, 5ft 9ins, with short black hair, medium build and a black beard.
Anyone with details of Sanchez Edwards’ whereabouts is asked to contact Hackney CID via 101 quoting the operation name Brunton, or to give information anonymously call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.