‘Dangerous’ predator Akrin Akinniran pleads guilty to Clapton sex assault after seeing photos of himself on social media
- Credit: police
A “dangerous” predator has pleaded guilty to a serious sexual assault just two days after the attack, after seeing photos of himself circulating on social media.
The female victim had got out of a private hire vehicle and was walking along Lower Clapton Road at 2.20am on Sunday when she was approached from behind by Akrin Akinniran who tried to speak to her.
She told Akinniran to leave her alone and tried to walk off, but he grabbed her and started kissing her neck.
He then pulled her into an alleyway and continued to sexually assault her.
The woman was able to break free, and asked a man who was walking down the road to call the police.
You may also want to watch:
In the middle of the call Akinniran approached them, and told him to hang up.
When he came closer the woman screamed and he fled.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 8 "Horrific" extent of River Lea plastic pollution at Hackney Marshes
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
Police officers collected CCTV footage from a fast food restaurant to use as evidence, but Akinniran handed himself in the next day after seeing pictures of himself circulating on social media which had been taken by a witness.
He initially claimed he was innocent and gave a different version of events.
However when cops searched the property where he was staying they found identical items of clothing worn by the suspect in the photographs.
Akrin Akinniran, 34, of Tresham Walk, Homerton, was charged with sexual assault and remanded in police custody to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday, where he pleaded guilty.
Det Const Alex Heaton, from the central east CID, said: “Firstly, I would like to reassure the public that attacks of this nature are very rare and that we take reports of this nature very seriously.
“Within two days of the attack we have arrested, charged and secured a guilty verdict for a dangerous criminal who will not be able to harm anyone for quite a while.
“There may very well be other victims of Akinniran’s, who we would urge to contact police as soon as possible.”
He will be sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on November 20.