‘Dangerous’ predator Akrin Akinniran pleads guilty to Clapton sex assault after seeing photos of himself on social media
- Credit: police
A “dangerous” predator has pleaded guilty to a serious sexual assault just two days after the attack, after seeing photos of himself circulating on social media.
The female victim had got out of a private hire vehicle and was walking along Lower Clapton Road at 2.20am on Sunday when she was approached from behind by Akrin Akinniran who tried to speak to her.
She told Akinniran to leave her alone and tried to walk off, but he grabbed her and started kissing her neck.
He then pulled her into an alleyway and continued to sexually assault her.
The woman was able to break free, and asked a man who was walking down the road to call the police.
You may also want to watch:
In the middle of the call Akinniran approached them, and told him to hang up.
When he came closer the woman screamed and he fled.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 3 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 4 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 7 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 10 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
Police officers collected CCTV footage from a fast food restaurant to use as evidence, but Akinniran handed himself in the next day after seeing pictures of himself circulating on social media which had been taken by a witness.
He initially claimed he was innocent and gave a different version of events.
However when cops searched the property where he was staying they found identical items of clothing worn by the suspect in the photographs.
Akrin Akinniran, 34, of Tresham Walk, Homerton, was charged with sexual assault and remanded in police custody to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday, where he pleaded guilty.
Det Const Alex Heaton, from the central east CID, said: “Firstly, I would like to reassure the public that attacks of this nature are very rare and that we take reports of this nature very seriously.
“Within two days of the attack we have arrested, charged and secured a guilty verdict for a dangerous criminal who will not be able to harm anyone for quite a while.
“There may very well be other victims of Akinniran’s, who we would urge to contact police as soon as possible.”
He will be sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on November 20.