Daubeney Fields shooting: Police offer £10k reward after attack on homeless man at barbecue
- Credit: Google street view
A £10,000 reward is being offered to help trace those responsible for the attempted murder of a homeless man who was shot in the back at a children’s birthday barbecue in a park.
The 34-year-old was dancing in Daubeney Fields just after midnight on July 16 when the suspect came up from behind and shot him three times, before running off.
Despite injuries to his left arm, left hip and right calf the man, who is well known in the local community according to police, made his way to a nearby housing estate where he got first aid treatment and called emergency services. He spent two weeks recovering from the injuries in hospital.
Police are offering the £10,000 reward for any information which leads to convictions or recovery of the firearm involved.
A 31-year-old man was arrested on July 28 on suspicion of attempted murder, and has been released under investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Simon Smith from the Met’s Trident team urged any witnesses to come forward.
He said: “Obviously, being shot three times, it was life-threatening at the time.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 6 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 7 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
“He is extremely lucky to have survived it and six months on, although he is recovering from the bullet wounds, the effects are psychological. He’s aware there’s someone who’s out on the loose who has already tried to kill him who hasn’t been brought to justice.
“Those people at the barbecue wouldn’t know who [the gunman] was – this person came up through crowds and shot at him several times.
“We have only got the victim’s account of it but it wouldn’t tend to suggest there was any argument earlier on in the night – I’m not sure why he chose to approach when he did.
“But to date no one has come forward. The size of the reward reflects our recognition it’s not easy to come forward with information that might implicate somebody else who’s local in the area.”
Det Con Shaun Pascal added: “This was a deplorable shooting at a children’s barbecue, which left the victim with serious injuries.
“It is believed he will make a full recovery but the long-term effects will haunt him for many years to come. There are members of the public who attended the barbecue and may have witnessed this incident who could have a vital piece of information to help us piece together what happened. Any statements made to police will be treated in confidence.”
Any witnesses or anyone with any information should call 020 8217 7382 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.