‘Disgusting’ volunteer police officer based at Hackney dismissed by Met for making 1,656 indecent images of children
- Credit: Google Street View
A volunteer police officer based in Hackney has been dismissed by the Met after being convicted of making over 1,000 indecent images of children.
George Corr, a former Special Constable attached to Hackney borough, was dismissed without notice for gross misconduct at a special case hearing yesterday.
The chair concluded Corr’s conduct had amounted to a breach of the standards of professional behaviour and discreditable conduct.
Corr, 25, from Ashford was arrested in August 2016 following a call from a member of the public to the charity Childline reporting he possessed “disgusting images of children” on his computer and iPad.
Surrey Police searched his home, and seized his computer and hard drive where they discovered 1,656 indecent images and videos of children.
You may also want to watch:
They had been downloaded saved on the hard drive and mobile phone backup between December 2013 and June 2016.
Corr pleaded guilty to three counts of making indecent images of children and escaped a jail term when he was sentenced at Kingston Crown Court on February 27.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 9 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Instead he received a two year suspended sentence, and was ordered to attend a 60 day rehabilitation course in conjunction with Probation Services and to complete 175 hours unpaid work. He was also issued with a sexual harm prevention order to run for 15 years and has been included in the children’s barred List.
Det Const Steve Branch, from Surrey Police’s public protection team, said: “Corr’s behaviour is disgusting and disturbing.
“Crimes like this when committed by anybody are horrific but to be committed by someone who is in a position of trust and who has a duty of care to the public is quite frankly disgraceful.
“We take reports of this nature extremely seriously and urge anybody who suspects anyone of committing such offences to call us immediately on 101 or 999 in an emergency.”
A spokesman for the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) added: “By making indecent images of children Corr broke the trust placed in him by his colleagues and the public and it’s right that he’s faced the consequences of those actions.
“NSPCC research suggests that up to half a million men in the UK may have viewed child abuse images, which shows that this remains an extremely serious problem.
“Tech companies, government and law enforcement must prioritise this issue and continue to work together to find solutions to cut these sickening images off at source.”
A spokesman for the Met said it is policy to not release images of police officers who are dismissed in disciplinary hearings.