Finsbury Park toddler death: ‘No signs’ that could have helped us stop dad killing son – report
- Credit: police
Health chiefs say there were “few, if any” signs that could have helped them prevent Finsbury Park man Bidhya Sagar Das from killing his son with a hammer.
A report into the death of Gabriel Sonu Bibekas found even “optimal” responses to existing social services issues would not have made a difference to the tragic death last year.
But independent assessors CAE said the City and Hackney Children’s Safeguarding Board (CHSCB) should ensure issues relating to faith or culture do not affect safeguarding responses for domestic abuse sufferers.
CAE also suggested GPs ask depression-related questions at the six-to-eight week post-natal consultations and hold them with mothers alone.
Das, 33, killed 16-month-old Gabriel in a Wilberforce Road flat on March 18, 2017, and seriously injured another child who cannot be named. He was locked up indefinitely after admitting manslaughter by diminished responsibility and attempted murder.
You may also want to watch:
He had become consumed with jealousy over unfounded suspicions his partner Christinela Datcu was having sex with other men, which he alleged to a social worker days before killing Gabriel. Afterwards a social worker spoke to Ms Datcu and referred her to a domestic abuse service. Ms Datcu said she had persuaded Das to attend a GP over “cannabis-induced distorted thinking and occasional hallucinations”. He didn’t go.
A report states: “She also disclosed two weeks previously, [Das] had slapped her in the face. She had not informed police and accepted his apology. She described his stated wish to be helped, a reluctance to consult a doctor and his acute fear she will leave him. She said he was not in touch with any mental health services.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
Ms Dactu had also said she had no concerns about her safety and was confident he would not harm the child.
Jim Gamble, chair of the CHSCB said the board had accepted the findings, which he said showed the importance of understanding the role of fathers, the need to consider domestic abuse risks and risks associated with controlling people.
He added: “There were simply no warning signs. This case truly reflects not all tragedies [like this] can be predicted or prevented.”