Gemma McCluskie brother in court accused of EastEnders actress’ murder
The brother of former EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie will appear in court today charged with her murder.
Miss McCluskie’s torso was discovered dumped in Regent’s Canal close to Hackney’s Broadway Market last week, days after she attended a high-profile hospital opening ceremony in east London.
Her 35-year-old brother Tony was formally charged by police on Saturday night as divers continued their searches for Miss McCluskie’s remaining body parts.
The actress, 29, who played Kerry Skinner in the BBC soap in 2001, went missing following the opening of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
Friends launched extensive searches across east London in a bid to find her and former EastEnders co-stars Natalie Cassidy and Brooke Kinsella both appealed on Twitter for help.
You may also want to watch:
Miss McCluskie’s remains were discovered on Tuesday when a member of the public reported a suspicious object.
A post-mortem examination has proved inconclusive.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
Tony McCluskie, of Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, is accused of killing his sister between February 29 and March 6. He will appear in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court in east London.