Gemma McCluskie brother in court accused of EastEnders actress’ murder
The brother of former EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie will appear in court today charged with her murder.
Miss McCluskie’s torso was discovered dumped in Regent’s Canal close to Hackney’s Broadway Market last week, days after she attended a high-profile hospital opening ceremony in east London.
Her 35-year-old brother Tony was formally charged by police on Saturday night as divers continued their searches for Miss McCluskie’s remaining body parts.
The actress, 29, who played Kerry Skinner in the BBC soap in 2001, went missing following the opening of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
Friends launched extensive searches across east London in a bid to find her and former EastEnders co-stars Natalie Cassidy and Brooke Kinsella both appealed on Twitter for help.
You may also want to watch:
Miss McCluskie’s remains were discovered on Tuesday when a member of the public reported a suspicious object.
A post-mortem examination has proved inconclusive.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
Tony McCluskie, of Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, is accused of killing his sister between February 29 and March 6. He will appear in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court in east London.