Gemma McCluskie brother in court accused of EastEnders actress’ murder
The brother of former EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie will appear in court today charged with her murder.
Miss McCluskie’s torso was discovered dumped in Regent’s Canal close to Hackney’s Broadway Market last week, days after she attended a high-profile hospital opening ceremony in east London.
Her 35-year-old brother Tony was formally charged by police on Saturday night as divers continued their searches for Miss McCluskie’s remaining body parts.
The actress, 29, who played Kerry Skinner in the BBC soap in 2001, went missing following the opening of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
Friends launched extensive searches across east London in a bid to find her and former EastEnders co-stars Natalie Cassidy and Brooke Kinsella both appealed on Twitter for help.
You may also want to watch:
Miss McCluskie’s remains were discovered on Tuesday when a member of the public reported a suspicious object.
A post-mortem examination has proved inconclusive.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
Tony McCluskie, of Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, is accused of killing his sister between February 29 and March 6. He will appear in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court in east London.