Gemma McCluskie: Brother Tony in court accused of murdering EastEnders actress
The brother of former EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie is to stand trial accused of her murder in November.
Tony McCluskie, 35, is charged with killing the 29-year-old from Bethnal Green and then dumping her body in a canal just hours after she attended the Royal London Hospital’s opening ceremony on March 1 this year.
Her headless torso was discovered in a stretch of the Regent’s Canal near Broadway Market in Hackney, five days later after a barge owner called the police.
The body was later confirmed to be that of Ms McCluskie, but a postmortem proved inconclusive.
Appearing in custody, McMcluskie spoke only to confirm his identity during a brief hearing at the Old Bailey today (Monday).
You may also want to watch:
He did not enter a plea to the murder charge and his barrister, Jeremy Dein QC, did not make an application for bail.
The alleged killer will return to court on October 12 for a plea and case management hearing, with a trial date pencilled in for November 12.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 10 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
Miss McCluskie appeared in more than 30 episodes of the BBC soap opera as Kerry Skinner in 2001.
Former EastEnders co-stars Natalie Cassidy and Brooke Kinsella both appealed on Twitter for help in finding her.
McCluskie, of Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, east London, was remanded in custody.