Gemma McCluskie: Head found in Regent’s Canal belongs to EastEnders actress from Bethnal Green
A head pulled out of Regent’s Canal has been identified as that of EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie.
The head belonging to the 29-year-old actress, who lived in Bethnal Green, was found near Kingsland Road on Sunday.
The grisly discovery was made by a boater at Kings Land Basin cleaning the river, according to police.
It is believed someone became suspicious after hair was seen sticking out of a hole in a recycling bag. It comes months after other body parts belonging to Ms McCluskie were also found in Regent’s Canal.
The identity of the head was established today within the last few minutes, using dental tests, according to a coroners officer.
You may also want to watch:
Ms McCluskie’s torso was recovered from Regent’s Canal on March 6 after being spotted floating near Broadway Market by a member of the public.
Searches by police mariner divers then led to the recovery of an arm in the canal on March 19 followed by the discovery of her remaining body parts over the following days.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
Ms McCluskie went missing from her home in Pelter Street, which she shared with her ill mother Pauline and brother Tony on March 1.
Her brother Tony McCluskie, aged, 35, is due to stand trial at the Old Bailey in November accused of her murder.