George Downing Estate: Murder investigation launched after man, 26, stabbed to death in Stoke Newington
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation has been launched after a 26-year-old man was stabbed to death on the George Downing Estate in Stoke Newington last night.
Police were called to the scene, off Cazenove Road, just after 11.30pm by medics. The victim had been knifed multiple times and was taken to hospital where he died an hour later.
His next of kin have been told.
No arrests have been made and the estate was taped off today while officers from the homicide and major crime command investigate.
Det Ch Insp Gary Holmes, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is a tragic incident which has led to a young man losing his life.
You may also want to watch:
“At this early stage we retain an open mind as to motive and several lines of inquiry are ongoing.
“I am appealing to anyone who was in the area of the George Downing Estate around the time of the incident to come forward, even if the information you have seems insignificant, as this may prove vital in piecing the events of this incident together.”
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
It is the second fatal stabbing this month in the N16 area. Daniel Frederick, 34, was killed yards from his home in Shakspeare Walk on the Milton Gardens Estate on January 8.
He was returning from a hospital check-up for his pregnant partner at 6pm when he was attacked, in what police believe was a case of mistaken identity.
Two arrests have been made over Daniel’s death. A 16-year-old has been bailed until next month and a 26-year-old man has been released under investigation.
Two days after Daniel’s death, a 19-year-old man was left fighting for his life after being stabbed in Lordship Road during an incident in which shots were fired. He has since been released.
A 27-year-old man was arrested and has been released under investigation.
Anyone with information about last night’s stabbing can contact police via 101, tweet @MetCC or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.