Girl, 16, suffers attempted sex attack in broad daylight in Stoke Newington’s Abney Park Cemetery
A pervert tried to sexually assault a 16-year-old girl as she walked through Hackney’s historic Abney Park Cemetery on the way to work on Sunday afternoon (September 4).
The victim was attacked by a hooded man as she took a shortcut through the overgrown cemetery, which is just off Stoke Newington High Street, at about 2pm.
She was walking up a gravel path when she noticed someone was following her.
The suspect - described as a ‘chubby’ black man, aged about 30 - grabbed her from behind and attempted to drag her into a wooded area.
He then ordered her to remove some of her clothing.
You may also want to watch:
The terrified girl heard voices nearby and screamed - causing the man to run off in the direction of Stoke Newington High Street.
Detectives say he was about 5ft 9ins tall, had black stubble on his face and spoke with a deep voice in a local accent.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 9 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
He was wearing black gloves with a Nike tick and a navy hooded top, which he had pulled up over his head.
Anyone with information should call Hackney CID on 020 7275 3640 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.