Hackney and Islington acid attacks: Boy, 16, in court today
- Credit: Press Association Images
A 16-year-old boy is due in court today after he was charged in connection with Thursday night’s acid attacks in Hackney and Islington.
The teenager, who cannot be named, was charged on Saturday with 15 offences including grievous bodily harm and possession of an item to discharge a noxious substance.
He was remanded in custody and is expected to appear before Stratford Youth Court today.
He is charged with one count of grievous bodily harm with intent, one count of possession of an item to discharge a noxious substance, three counts of robbery, one count of handling stolen goods, four counts of attempted robbery and five counts of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent.
Five separate male victims, all on mopeds, were targeted in the space of 72 minutes. Four attacks happened in Hackney and one in Islington.
You may also want to watch:
A 15-year-old boy, who was arrested on Friday on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery, has been released on bail until early next month.
Meanwhile, East Ham MP Stephen Timms has called a debate in the Commons tonight on the rising number of acid attacks across the capital.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
He wants sulphuric acid relassiified as a “regulated substance” and possession of acid – which is not currently a criminal offence – into line with the law on possession of knives.