Hackney and Islington acid attacks: Second boy, aged 15, arrested
- Credit: PA
A second arrest has been made after the five moped acid attacks across Hackney and Islington last night.
A boy, aged 15, was arrested at an address in Stoke Newington on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery.
A 16-year-old boy was previously arrested in the early hours in Kingsbury Road, near Newington Green.
Both suspects are in custody.
As reported in the Gazette today, four of the attacks happened in Hackney and one in Islington. Each attack targeted moped riders.
You may also want to watch:
Ch Insp Ben Clark, from Hackney Police, said: “This is a fast moving investigation and we have made two arrests today. However, I would like to ask the public for their help. Each of these offences took place in busy locations and we know there may be witnesses who have not yet contacted us. If you saw something or managed to film or photograph anything that might help us please get in touch.
“These are hideous offences and must have been very frightening for all of the victims. I’m aware of rumours circulating that the victims were all food delivery riders set up in advance of the attacks. This is not the case. All victims were riding mopeds at the time of the attacks, but were from a variety of backgrounds.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
“Of late we have seen more attacks using corrosive substances in London. I would urge businesses and parents to challenge those who they think may be trying to obtain or carry these substances as this could help prevent serious offences and life changing injuries being caused.”