Hackney Council hit by ‘serious cyberattack’
- Credit: Ken Mears
The National Cyber Security Centre has been called in to investigate a “serious cyberattack” which is afffecting many of Hackney Council’s services and IT systems.
Some services are currently unavailable or slower than usual, and council officers are working with external experts and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to understand the impact of the incident.
It is not yet clear what kind of cyber attack has hit the council, if there has been any data loss, or whether residents’ data has been exposed.
In a statement on the council’s website - which is still working - Mayor of Hackney, Philip Glanville said: “This investigation is at an early stage, and limited information is currently available.
“Our focus is on continuing to deliver essential frontline services, especially to our most vulnerable residents, and protecting data, while restoring affected services as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“In the meantime, some council services may be unavailable or slower than normal, and our call centre is extremely busy.
“We ask that residents and businesses only contact us if absolutely necessary, and to bear with us while we seek to resolve these issues.”
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
He said updates would be provided as the investigation progresses.