Hackney Deliveroo drivers being attacked by moped thieves in terrifying crimewave
- Credit: Archant
Deliveroo drivers in Hackney are being run off the road by knife-wielding moped thieves in a terrifying crimewave, the Gazette can reveal.
Some workers have ended up in hospital with stab wounds after standing their ground when the kids, usually aged between 12 and 16, confront them demanding they hand over their wheels.
Many are also now refusing to deliver food to areas where they expect their mopeds to get robbed, with Lower Clapton’s Pembury Estate said to be the worst area.
Drivers share updates with each other over Whatsapp. One worker, who asked not to be named, said 40 out of the 50 drivers in the group now refuse to work after 9.30pm out of fear.
He told the Gazette: “In the past month physical attacks with knives have started. Drivers are being held at knifepoint, mostly in Shoreditch or Hackney Central. You can be riding along and they chase you on another moped. We’re seeing groups of boys on three or four mopeds, with people on the back, running drivers off the road and taking their mopeds. On Queensbridge Road last week a driver was stopped at the lights and 10 boys on bikes said: ‘Get off your bike.’
You may also want to watch:
“I used to do this all day. I’ve got three kids, I need to work. People would do it from 12pm to 12am and make £140. Now, 40 out of the 50 in the group will not work after 9.30pm. It’s too dangerous, something will happen.”
And if it’s not knife attacks. They say mopeds are being stolen while a delivery is made.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 7 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
The driver continued: “The Pembury Estate is the worst for that, every driver will avoid going there, or if they have to they will park somewhere else and walk. Someone will order food and their friends will steal your bike.
“But people who refuse to go to specific addresses or areas are just getting kicked off by Deliveroo. They say you have to go there, or you’ll get an email saying you’ve been removed from the service.”
Police have been told but drivers feel not enough is being done. Worryingly, they are now talking about talking about taking matters into their own hands.
“They are really annoyed,” continued the driver, 29. “They are talking about forming packs of drivers to go back and get justice themselves. Drivers don’t want to carry weapons but I know some that will.”
Deliveroo did not respond to a request for comment.