Data shows Hackney is a dog theft hotspot in London
- Credit: © Tom Oldham 2021
Hackney has some of the highest rates of dog theft in London, according to money.co.uk research.
New figures show there have been 59 dog thefts in the past five years in the borough, making Hackney the fifth highest in London.
Croydon topped the list with 71 dogs stolen over the same period and Sutton the lowest with just 16 thefts.
The research analysed Freedom of Information data on the number of dog thefts reported in the last five years, as well as which types of dog were most commonly stolen.
It revealed that over the past five years there have been 1,409 dog thefts in London.
Staffordshire Bull Terriers were found to be the most commonly stolen dogs.
To protect against dog theft owners are encouraged to microchip pets, be vigilant, to keep gardens secure and to be careful when sharing pictures of their pooch online.
They are also encouraged to take out pet insurance as some policies cover advertising costs for missing pets.
- 1 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 2 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 5 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 6 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- 9 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 10 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign