Hackney gang member jailed for possession of loaded Baikal handgun
Two gang members have been jailed after police found a loaded Baikal handgun hidden in a bandana inside their car.
Niyah Smith, 20 of Wick Road, Homerton, and Lance Brown, 26, of and Nottingham Road, Leyton both pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life at Wood Green Crown Court today.
They were each sentenced to eight years and six months’ imprisonment.
Officers from the Trident Gang Crime Command along with armed police stopped an Audi A3 heading towards Wood Green in June, in which Brown and Smith were travelling.
They found a bandana and a pair of latex gloves within the footwell of the vehicle, and discovered a loaded Baikal handgun containing seven rounds of ammunition hidden inside the bandana.
You may also want to watch:
Forensic evidence linked Smith to the latex gloves as well as the firearm.
DS John Crossley, Trident Gang Crime Command said: “I believe the sentence imposed will send a clear message to those concerned in gun crime that if they are involved, in any way, they can expect to be identified and convicted for the offence.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
“I would like to thank all the officers and staff whose hard work helped achieve this result and remove a firearm from London’s streets.”