Hackney gang member jailed for possession of loaded Baikal handgun
Two gang members have been jailed after police found a loaded Baikal handgun hidden in a bandana inside their car.
Niyah Smith, 20 of Wick Road, Homerton, and Lance Brown, 26, of and Nottingham Road, Leyton both pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life at Wood Green Crown Court today.
They were each sentenced to eight years and six months’ imprisonment.
Officers from the Trident Gang Crime Command along with armed police stopped an Audi A3 heading towards Wood Green in June, in which Brown and Smith were travelling.
They found a bandana and a pair of latex gloves within the footwell of the vehicle, and discovered a loaded Baikal handgun containing seven rounds of ammunition hidden inside the bandana.
You may also want to watch:
Forensic evidence linked Smith to the latex gloves as well as the firearm.
DS John Crossley, Trident Gang Crime Command said: “I believe the sentence imposed will send a clear message to those concerned in gun crime that if they are involved, in any way, they can expect to be identified and convicted for the offence.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
“I would like to thank all the officers and staff whose hard work helped achieve this result and remove a firearm from London’s streets.”