Hackney gang member jailed for possession of loaded Baikal handgun
Two gang members have been jailed after police found a loaded Baikal handgun hidden in a bandana inside their car.
Niyah Smith, 20 of Wick Road, Homerton, and Lance Brown, 26, of and Nottingham Road, Leyton both pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life at Wood Green Crown Court today.
They were each sentenced to eight years and six months’ imprisonment.
Officers from the Trident Gang Crime Command along with armed police stopped an Audi A3 heading towards Wood Green in June, in which Brown and Smith were travelling.
They found a bandana and a pair of latex gloves within the footwell of the vehicle, and discovered a loaded Baikal handgun containing seven rounds of ammunition hidden inside the bandana.
You may also want to watch:
Forensic evidence linked Smith to the latex gloves as well as the firearm.
DS John Crossley, Trident Gang Crime Command said: “I believe the sentence imposed will send a clear message to those concerned in gun crime that if they are involved, in any way, they can expect to be identified and convicted for the offence.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 10 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
“I would like to thank all the officers and staff whose hard work helped achieve this result and remove a firearm from London’s streets.”