Hackney gang member jailed for possession of loaded Baikal handgun
Two gang members have been jailed after police found a loaded Baikal handgun hidden in a bandana inside their car.
Niyah Smith, 20 of Wick Road, Homerton, and Lance Brown, 26, of and Nottingham Road, Leyton both pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life at Wood Green Crown Court today.
They were each sentenced to eight years and six months’ imprisonment.
Officers from the Trident Gang Crime Command along with armed police stopped an Audi A3 heading towards Wood Green in June, in which Brown and Smith were travelling.
They found a bandana and a pair of latex gloves within the footwell of the vehicle, and discovered a loaded Baikal handgun containing seven rounds of ammunition hidden inside the bandana.
Forensic evidence linked Smith to the latex gloves as well as the firearm.
DS John Crossley, Trident Gang Crime Command said: “I believe the sentence imposed will send a clear message to those concerned in gun crime that if they are involved, in any way, they can expect to be identified and convicted for the offence.
- 1 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 2 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 3 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 4 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 5 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 6 Five convicted for 'horrifying' Broadway Market stabbing
- 7 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 8 'It was like a scene from a movie': Hackney man facing jail for 2017 shooting
- 9 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 10 Hackney man wanted in relation to alleged Chelmsford assault
“I would like to thank all the officers and staff whose hard work helped achieve this result and remove a firearm from London’s streets.”