Hackney man, who repeatedly stabbed wife and assaulted daughter, jailed
- Credit: Archant
A man who attempted to murder his wife - strangling her and stabbing her six times - and assaulted one of his daughters was jailed for 16 years today.
Hackney resident Dilaver Bellikli, 46 pleaded guilty to attempted murder and grievous bodily harm at Wood Green Crown Court and he was sentenced the same day.
He was given 16 years’ imprisonment for the attempted murder and two years for grievous bodily harm to run concurrently.
Bellikli’s wife said: “I’m happy with the sentence that has been given today. I would encourage any woman, especially those within the Turkish community to come forward and speak to the authorities if they are being subjected to any kind of abuse. Don’t remain in silence; there are people who are willing to help.”
The court heard how on February 7, Bellikli’s grown up daughters, who were upstairs in the family home, could hear shouts coming from downstairs, and then a loud scream.
You may also want to watch:
They ran downstairs to find Bellikli strangling his wife and pushed him aside but Bellikli then pointed a knife at his wife.
Fearing for her mother’s safety, one quick- reacting daughter grabbed the blade of the knife, cutting her hands in the process.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
Bellikli then stabbed his wife in the upper body.
The same daughter tried again to grab the knife off her father but to no avail.
Bellikli repeatedly stabbed his wife before fleeing the scene.
Neighbours alerted police and the London Ambulance Service who treated both woman before they were taken to hospital.
Bellikli’s wife received treatment to six stab wounds - one to her leg and five to her upper body - and her daughter was treated for cuts to her hands, which later required surgery.
Beliki was found at his brother’s address in Edmonton by police at 4:30am where he was arrested and charged.
Detective Constable Simon Johnston, from Hackney borough, said: “The events which took place that day could have been worse had it not been for the heroic actions of the two young women as they tried to prevent their mother from coming to further harm.
“They were faced with a frightening situation and their actions most probably saved their mother’s life and their bravery must be commended.
“Bellikli was supposed to protect his family not harm them, but in a fit of rage he went onto inflict a number of injuries to both his wife and one of his daughters.
“We welcome the sentence that has been handed down today as it truly reflects the seriousness of the offence and Bellikli will now spend a considerable amount of time behind bars.”