Hackney man, who repeatedly stabbed wife and assaulted daughter, jailed
- Credit: Archant
A man who attempted to murder his wife - strangling her and stabbing her six times - and assaulted one of his daughters was jailed for 16 years today.
Hackney resident Dilaver Bellikli, 46 pleaded guilty to attempted murder and grievous bodily harm at Wood Green Crown Court and he was sentenced the same day.
He was given 16 years’ imprisonment for the attempted murder and two years for grievous bodily harm to run concurrently.
Bellikli’s wife said: “I’m happy with the sentence that has been given today. I would encourage any woman, especially those within the Turkish community to come forward and speak to the authorities if they are being subjected to any kind of abuse. Don’t remain in silence; there are people who are willing to help.”
The court heard how on February 7, Bellikli’s grown up daughters, who were upstairs in the family home, could hear shouts coming from downstairs, and then a loud scream.
You may also want to watch:
They ran downstairs to find Bellikli strangling his wife and pushed him aside but Bellikli then pointed a knife at his wife.
Fearing for her mother’s safety, one quick- reacting daughter grabbed the blade of the knife, cutting her hands in the process.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
Bellikli then stabbed his wife in the upper body.
The same daughter tried again to grab the knife off her father but to no avail.
Bellikli repeatedly stabbed his wife before fleeing the scene.
Neighbours alerted police and the London Ambulance Service who treated both woman before they were taken to hospital.
Bellikli’s wife received treatment to six stab wounds - one to her leg and five to her upper body - and her daughter was treated for cuts to her hands, which later required surgery.
Beliki was found at his brother’s address in Edmonton by police at 4:30am where he was arrested and charged.
Detective Constable Simon Johnston, from Hackney borough, said: “The events which took place that day could have been worse had it not been for the heroic actions of the two young women as they tried to prevent their mother from coming to further harm.
“They were faced with a frightening situation and their actions most probably saved their mother’s life and their bravery must be commended.
“Bellikli was supposed to protect his family not harm them, but in a fit of rage he went onto inflict a number of injuries to both his wife and one of his daughters.
“We welcome the sentence that has been handed down today as it truly reflects the seriousness of the offence and Bellikli will now spend a considerable amount of time behind bars.”