Shoreditch club defied police to stay open until 6am on night Zakaria Bukar Sharif Ali was murdered – report

Rolling Stock in Shoreditch:Picture Ken Mears

Rolling Stock in Shoreditch:Picture Ken Mears - Credit: Archant

Two Kingsland Road nightclubs could be closed down by the council in the wake of a murder and a shooting.

Murder victim Zakaria Bukar Sharif Ali. Picture: MPS

Murder victim Zakaria Bukar Sharif Ali. Picture: MPS - Credit: MPS

Rolling Stock in Kingsland Road was meant to have closed at 3am on November 24 but defied a police notice and stayed open until 6am.

Shortly after that, clubgoer Zakaria Bukar Sharif Ali, a 26-year-old father of two from Hackney, was stabbed to death outside as he tried to break up a fight between two groups of men who had also been in the bar.

Police now want councillors to consider revoking its licence.

They have also applied for a licence review at The 588 Club further up Kingsland Road following a shooting inside the venue at a New Year’s Eve event. That review will be heard tomorrow.

Rolling Stock licensee Byron Evans had applied for a temporary event notice (TEN) to open late the night Zakaria was killed, but it was opposed by licensing cops because no risk assessment had been submitted.

Pc Neal Hunwick said as a result of what happened police had no option but to request that councillors consider revoking the licence.

Most Read

In his report ahead of the meeting on Tuesday next week, he said: “As a result of being open beyond the terminal time allowed, two male suspects entered the venue separately at 4.15am and the main suspect at 4.40am, both being allowed entry via security staff.

“It is clear on the balance of probabilities that the suspects entered the venue carrying the murder weapon. They have left the venue at or about 6am and within a few paces of exiting the front door have gone on to stab the victim. Whatever the search regime was, it was clearly inadequate.”

Pc Hunwick said police generally had no issue with the venue or Mr Evans, but by choosing to go ahead with the night despite being aware police had “counter-noticed” it, “the tragic chain of events was set in motion”.

He added: “If the venue had not been open, the victim and suspects would not have been in the same locale as one another on that night and almost certainly would not have been standing outside in close proximity to one another when, shortly after 6am, the victim tragically received a life-ending stab wound from the suspect who had allegedly been searched going into the club.”