Hackney police hunt for man who grabbed 11-year-old girl on her way to school
- Credit: Archant
Detectives from Hackney have released an e-fit image of a man suspected of grabbing an 11-year-old girl.
The alleged incident happened at around 8.30am on Tuesday shortly after the victim - who was wearing her school uniform - got off a bus in Homerton Row.
She realised a man was walking behind her in the Bannister House Estate.
He then grabbed the girl from behind, who struggled against his grip.
She was only able to break free when she bit his hand.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Paul Ridley, from Hackney borough’s CID, said: “A random and unprovoked attack against a young female in this manner is fortunately rare, but has left the victim clearly distressed.
“Thankfully, and despite her ordeal, the victim in this case has been able to provide a detailed description and compile an e-fit of her attacker.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
“I would appeal to anyone who knows who this image may be of, to get in contact with us and tell us who he is and where to find him.
“You may have noticed an individual with a recent fresh scratch to his face or a possible bite mark on his hand. If you have, please contact us.”
Police, who have stepped up patrols in the area since the incident, are also keen to hear from any witnesses who have not yet come forward.
The suspect is described as a dark-skinned black man, aged around 40-years-old, who is about 6ft tall and of a stocky build.
He has a spiky beard which is greying and is believed to have a scratch on his left cheek.
At the time of the attack he was wearing a navy blue beanie hat, a zipped up hooded top, black trousers and a long jacket to his knees.
He had three sovereign style rings on his right hand, a sovereign on the little finger of his left hand and a normal ring on another finger.
Anyone with information should call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.