Hackney Police will “ask no questions” in weapons amnesty
- Credit: Archant
Police are urging people to hand in their weapons to make Hackney’s streets a safer place.
From Monday October 28, for two weeks there will be three special bins for knives and guns for a weapon amnesty.
Sgt Dev Singh, from Victoria neighbourhood policing team, said: “It’s a completely anonymous, ask no questions type thing, you can have it in a bag and place the item in the bin and leave, and that will be the end of it.
“This amnesty is only one part of a bigger operation to take weapons of our streets and in doing so making the streets of Hackney safer.”
He warned: “Those who choose to ignore our messages about putting weapons down can expect to be dealt with robustly.
You may also want to watch:
The initiative is part of the Met’s commitment to reduce the routine carrying of knives in London as well as weapon enabled crime – which is falling year on year.
Bins will be located in the front offices of Stoke Newington Police Station in Stoke Newington Road and Shoreditch Police Station in Shepherdess Walk.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 10 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
There will also be a mobile station which will be located on a different estate until November 10.
28/10 - London Fields (Broadway Market)
29/10 - Pembury Estate
30/10 - Kingsmead
31/10 - Woodberry Down Estate
1/11 - Stamford Hill Estate
2/11 - Frampton Park Estate
3/11 - Gilpin Square
4/11 - London Fields (Broadway Market)
5/11 - Pembury Estate
6/11 - Kingsmead
7/11 - Woodberry Down Estate
8/11 - Wrens Parks