Hackney Police will “ask no questions” in weapons amnesty
- Credit: Archant
Police are urging people to hand in their weapons to make Hackney’s streets a safer place.
From Monday October 28, for two weeks there will be three special bins for knives and guns for a weapon amnesty.
Sgt Dev Singh, from Victoria neighbourhood policing team, said: “It’s a completely anonymous, ask no questions type thing, you can have it in a bag and place the item in the bin and leave, and that will be the end of it.
“This amnesty is only one part of a bigger operation to take weapons of our streets and in doing so making the streets of Hackney safer.”
He warned: “Those who choose to ignore our messages about putting weapons down can expect to be dealt with robustly.
You may also want to watch:
The initiative is part of the Met’s commitment to reduce the routine carrying of knives in London as well as weapon enabled crime – which is falling year on year.
Bins will be located in the front offices of Stoke Newington Police Station in Stoke Newington Road and Shoreditch Police Station in Shepherdess Walk.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 10 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
There will also be a mobile station which will be located on a different estate until November 10.
28/10 - London Fields (Broadway Market)
29/10 - Pembury Estate
30/10 - Kingsmead
31/10 - Woodberry Down Estate
1/11 - Stamford Hill Estate
2/11 - Frampton Park Estate
3/11 - Gilpin Square
4/11 - London Fields (Broadway Market)
5/11 - Pembury Estate
6/11 - Kingsmead
7/11 - Woodberry Down Estate
8/11 - Wrens Parks