Hackney teenager among 29 arrested at Black Lives Matter Protest in Central London
- Credit: Metropolitan Police
A Hackney teenager was arrested along with 29 other people at a Black Lives Matter protest in central London on June 6.
A total of 14 officers were injured - two seriously - but police say most of the demonstrators were peaceful and left the area after the planned event.
More than half of those arrested were described by police as having no fixed address.
Superintendent Jo Edwards, spokesperson for policing the demonstrations, said: “The violent and hostile scenes officers faced yesterday were completely unacceptable. It is shocking that a number were attacked and injured.
“Officers come to work every day to protect the public, and over the past week have worked hard to manage peaceful protests.”
You may also want to watch:
Demonstrators gathered to campaign against racism, police brutality whilst seeking Justice for George Floyd.
The 17 year-old from Hackney was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets