Haggerston police shooting trial told how Tyrone Henry said after arrest: ‘My life has gone’

The scene of the shooting (Picture: David Silvester)

The scene of the shooting (Picture: David Silvester) - Credit: Archant

The man accused of shooting a detective in the chest as he tried to flee armed police was overheard saying: “That’s me for life now – my life has gone,” following the incident, a court heard this week.

The Old Bailey was told Tyrone Henry, 31, was wearing only white socks on his feet when he jumped from the rear window at his girlfriend’s flat in Phoenix Close, Haggerston, as it was raided in an undercover police operation to recover a firearm on October 15 last year.

Henry then climbed over a roof carrying a 9mm handgun concealed in a white plastic bag, it was said, before running down Clarissa Street chased by about 10 officers.

They pursued him down Lovelace Street and Haggerston Road before managing to trip him up in Scriven Street.

He is said to have wrestled with officers on the pavement as he allegedly tried to take control of the gun. An officer trying to restrain him was hit by a bullet in his chest, just under his armpit.

Ricky Thompson said he had been sitting eating lunch in his work van in Haggerston Road when he heard the commotion.

He looked behind him and saw “what looked like a scuffle or a fight”, with five or six people and one or two on the floor, he told jurors on Thursday.

Most Read

“There was a lot of shouting,” he said. “The police were shouting commands like ‘keep calm’, ‘stay still’, ‘stop moving’,” he said.

“I saw a white carrier bag and I heard a noise which sounded like a pop and a plume of smoke came out of it. It landed about five foot away.”

Mr Thompson said he then heard people shouting: “There’s a hole. He’s got a hole in his shoulder”.

Jurors at the Old Bailey heard from Pc Paul Spinks, who took forensic samples to test for gunshot residue from Henry at Stoke Newington police station, where he asked him: “Do you think that my life’s over now?”

On his way there he told Pc Dean Barnett: “I never shot him, you know. Do you know that?”

But later at Stoke Newington police station he said: “That’s me for life now – my life has gone.”

Henry has admitted possession of the gun, but denies possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

The trial continues.